Here is a WordPress plugin that I had almost forgot about only to “rediscover” it during an upgrade of WordPress. The main reason being that it is a drop in replacement for Rochus Wolff Endnotes plugin which I didn’t realized that I had replaced. The main difference is that the drop in replacement don’t need any hacking done to
wp-include/functions.php and has a simpler implementation.
Another difference is Footnotes lack of options. There is simply none. The plugin create a single type of footnote on each page that contain them, linking the note number to jump between citation and reference.1
A new version (version 1.3) will be available later today, stay tuned. The current version of the plugin (version 1.3), and all previous version, produce invalid HTML. An updated version of the plugin will be released as soon as possible.
- Only working in the QuickTag editor.
This plugin is compatible with WordPress 2.0 and above.
The latest version (version 1.4) of the plugin can be downloaded as dahnielson_footnotes_v14.zip.
- Download the dahnielson_footnotes_v14.zip archive.
- Unpack the zip archive into your WordPress
- Activate the plugin in the WordPress administrator panel.
To embed footnote in blog posts, enclose the footnote in
- 1.2: Initial public release.
- 1.3: Footnote IDs are now unique to the blog.
- 1.4: (Bug fix) Generates valid HTML. (Feature) Added a
footnoteclass to the superscript element.